Why Choose Medical Billing and Coding?: Growth
Potential and Career Opportunities
- Earn up to $42,630 a year!*
- Work full-time or part-time
- Work for doctors, hospitals or clinics
- Work from home after you gain experience
- Gain two valuable skills and expand your career path options by taking Billing and Coding.
- Be a part of the secure, growing healthcare industry
The U.S. Department of Labor projects the growth for Medical Coding & Billing jobs to increase 8% by 2029.*
Upon graduation from our online medical billing and coding certificate program, you will receive your U.S. Career Institute Certificate of Completion attesting to your accomplishment. U.S. Career Institute’s medical coding and billing program will prepare you to take a professional certification exam of your choosing. You are not required to take a certification exam, but taking this additional step will help you market yourself to potential employers and validate your knowledge of medical billing and coding information.
National Certification Options for Medical Billing and Coding
- a. American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- b. Requirements: AAPC Membership and exam fees.
- c. Recommended: A certificate or transcript showing 80 hours or more of education can be used to fulfill one of the two years required to remove the Apprentice (“A”) status from the certification and become a CPC. After a year of verifiable coding work experience, the grad can apply to have the “A” dropped by submitting a letter, on letterhead, signed from your employer verifying one year of on-the-job experience.
- d. USCI Recommended: Yes
- a. National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- b. Requirements: Successful completion of a medical billing and coding program within the last 5 years, HS Diploma or GED and exam fees.
- c. Recommended: USCI encourages our graduates to purchase the NHA test prep materials prior to taking the exam.
- d. USCI Recommended: Yes
- e. Your CBCS exam fees are included in your tuition-up to a $117 value†.
- a. American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- b. Requirements: HS Diploma or equivalent and exam fees.
- c. Recommended: 6 months coding experience, completion of coding training program, AAS in Health Information Technologies and AAS in Medical Specialties.
- d. USCI Recommended: No, USCI does not recommend this certification directly after you receive your USCI certificate, see recommendations above.
- a. National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- b. Requirements: HS Diploma or equivalent, certificate of completion for insurance and coding within 2 years of program completion and exam fees.
- c. USCI Recommended: No, this certification is not as well known in the field.
USCI Career Coach ProgramWe invest in you-up to $400 Value**
After completing your certificate course, our Career Coach Program is an included benefit that will give you one-on-one access to a Career Coach Advisor. Our course and Career Coach Program can prepare you with the skills needed to help you start your new career. Read about the program's requirements and guidelines in the Career Coach Program Outline.
Want a competitive edge? Take a look at our Medical Specialties Degree Program with low monthly payments of just $139!