Build the skills you need to start a rewarding new career in a doctor's office, hospital, or healthcare clinic - even your own home. Become a part of an essential, growing industry. The US. Department of Labor projects the growth for Medical Coding & Billing jobs to increase by 13.9%, from 2016 to 2026.*
Growth Potential & Career Opportunities
- Earn up to $39,075 a year!**
- Work full-time or part-time
- Work for doctors, hospitals or clinics
- Work from home after you gain experience
- Gain two valuable skills and expand your career path options by taking Coding and Billing.
- Be a part of the secure, growing healthcare industry
- The US. Department of Labor projects the growth for Medical Coding & Billing jobs to increase by 13.9%, from 2016 to 2026.*
Upon graduation from our Online Medical Coding and Billing School program, you will receive your U.S. Career Institute Certificate of Completion attesting to your accomplishment. U.S. Career Institute's Medical Coding and Billing program will prepare you to take a Certification exam of your choosing. You are not required to take a certification exam, however taking this additional step will help you market yourself to potential employers and validate your knowledge in Medical Coding and Billing.
National Certification Options for Medical Coding and Billing
- a. American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- b. Requirements: AAPC Membership and exam fees.
- c. Recommended: A certificate or transcript showing 80 hours or more of education can be used to fulfill one of the two years required to remove the Apprentice (“A”) status from the certification and become a CPC. After a year of verifiable coding work experience, the grad can apply to have the “A” dropped by submitting a letter, on letterhead, signed from your employer verifying one year of on-the-job experience.
- d. USCI Recommended: Yes
- a. National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- b. Requirements: Successful completion of a medical coding and billing program within the last 5 years, HS Diploma or GED and exam fees.
- c. Recommended: USCI encourages our graduates to purchase the NHA test prep materials prior to taking the exam.
- d. USCI Recommended: Yes
- a. American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- b. Requirements: HS Diploma or equivalent and exam fees.
- c. Recommended: 6 months coding experience, completion of coding training program, AAS in Health Information Technologies and AAS in Medical Specialties.
- d. USCI Recommended: No, USCI does not recommend this certification directly after you receive your USCI certificate, see recommendations above.
- a. National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- b. Requirements: HS Diploma or equivalent, certificate of completion for insurance and coding within 2 years of program completion and exam fees.
- c. USCI Recommended: No, this certification is not as well known in the field.
USCI Career Coach ProgramWe invest in you-up to $400 Value***
After completing your certificate course, our Career Coach Program is an included benefit that will give you one-on-one access to a Career Coach Specialist. Our course and Career Coach Program can prepare you with the skills needed to help you start your new career. Read about the program's requirements and guidelines in the Career Coach Program Outline.